Thursday, December 4, 2008

And Your SEC Champion Is . . .

   I've seen Florida's offense treat defenses like they were paper mache. I've seen the college quarterback of the decade in blue and orange. I've seen a bright -- and, just as important, flexible -- shape and mold an offense to match his players' abilities.
   I cannot pick against the Gators and Urban Meyer. They have more weapons than Alabama. And Crimson Tide quarterback John Parker Wilson, who is effective when defenses are stacked against the run, will face pressure like he's never seen.
   Now, for the point spread, which has climbed a half-point back to 10: I've seen too many spectacular teams expected to run roughshod over unflashy foes get dragged into a scrum. Romps happen to squads without stellar athletes and play-makers. Bama has both.
   Yard-eaters Percy Harvin and Chris Rainey probably will play for Florida, but injuries will keep them from reaching high gear. Tim Tebow's Heisman Trophy sequel has equaled the original, though not without their help.
   Admittedly, I've witnessed many games that have turned from anticipated classics into actual duds.  In this, the most titillating SEC Championship ever and a virtual national title semifinal game to boot, I see the Crimson Tide keeping it close but not lighting a cigar.
   Gators 24, Tide 17.
   Am I close to your prediction?
   As for Tebow's Heisman chances, I think he can overcome Oklahoma's Sam Bradford, but it will take some heroics or huge numbers. I don't envision the latter, but a game-winning drive capped by him bulling across the end zone would send a second trophy back to Gainesville.
   How do you evaluate Tebow and the Heisman? 

No comments: