Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Georgia's Munson Pulls The Plug

    Larry Munson, the legendary radio voice of Georgia football who turned in his mic Monday because of failing health, was a wordsmith with a dramatic delivery. He was captivating, a joy to listen to . . . 
   If you did not mind occasionally being unaware of what was transpiring on the field.
   And if you weren't offended by each week's games pitting We vs. They.
   Regarding my first gripe, as compelling as Munson's descriptions were, I expect my radio guy to give me on EVERY play what player has the ball, how he got it, who tackles him and where. Like some other acclaimed voices, Munson sometimes left out at least one of those tidbits. As a result, I enjoyed him more while watching the Bulldogs on my muted TV so I could answer those questions on my own.
   What's your take on a play-caller who does not always fully call the plays? Is that alright?
   As to the homer aspect, I realize that Dawg fans embraced Munson because substituting the team name periodically with "We" conveyed the belief that he was on their side, suffering amid them. I understand that appeal, but believe in an appearance of objectivity. The approach also ignores the fact that fans of "They" are tuning in, too.
   How do your ears feel about We vs. They? Do you prefer it?
   While Munson is rightfully acclaimed among cherished radio voices, to me there is -- or never was -- a peer to the late, great Cawood Ledford of Kentucky.
   Who's your all-time favorite?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Maybe these guys just assume people are either watching (at the game or on TV) while listening these days. When I listen to SEC games on XM radio, its usually pretty obvious what team is broadcasting the game. As for Munson, it think he got to the point that Harey Carey did: he could do whatever the hell he wanted to.