Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sooners Than Later, Gator: Liking Florida Less And Less

Florida still looks like a winner to me in the BCS Championship showdown. Maybe it's the absurdly long building between the SEC/Big 12 title games 33 days ago, but I am wavering slightly in my belief that this game belongs lock, stock and barrel to the Gators.

Doesn't Florida offensive coordinator Dan Mullen working after-hours as the new head coach at Mississippi State affect game preparation?

Can Florida, even with a month of practice, adequately prepare for the Sooners' phenomenal no-huddle offense?

Isn't Oklahoma's defense, which allowed 25 percent of its touchdowns in mop-up time, better than the numbers show?

Didn't the pass-happy offense carve out the most mind-boggling statistic of this era: 11 sacks allowed all season?

For all of Tim Tebow's achievements, isn't Sam Bradford the quarterback you'd choose to win one big game?

I see that the point spread has crept up to four and beyond. I'm headed in the other direction. Put a BB-gun to my head, and I'll pick Florida. But I no longer will be surprised if the Okies are doing the celebratory hokey-pokey.

You?

No comments: